Being a loyal reader is the best way to support our blog. No one taught us finances or travel hacking so we hope this blog will be useful. If you find enjoyment in reading our thoughts then please do not hesitate to share them with your loved ones. We will be transparent on sharing our journey to reach financial freedom by making savvy financial decisions and by utilizing miles and points to offset our travels.
Please make sure to follow us on social media and subscribe to our email list for the latest posts.
Here are some other ways that you could support us.
Since early 2015, we have opened more than 30+ cards between us to get airline miles and hotel points to help our family travel around the world for a fraction of the price. We’ve taken trips to Germany, London, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Tokyo, Kyoto, and Singapore. Domestically, we used points throughout California, most notably in Monterey, Sequoia National Park, and Anaheim. We have a few more trips planned for 2018, including Hawaii, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. If you’re interested in doing the same, then I recommend checking out the basic credit card rules, which cards should you apply for, and how to meet minimum spending (part 1, part 2) without going into debt.
Once you’re ready to delve into this exciting world of travel hacking then you could use our referral links. That way, if approved, we’d both get rewarded.
Credit Card Links
- Chase Ink Business Plus: Earn 80,000 Ultimate Reward points after spending $5,000 in 3 months, $95 annual fee
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: Earn 50,000 Ultimate Reward points after spending $4,000 in 3 months, $95 annual fee waived the first year.
- Chase Freedom: Earn $150 after spending $500 in 3 months. Instead of cash back, we use the points ($150=15,000) to transfer to Sapphire to redeem for flights. No annual fee.
- Chase Disney: Earn $200 Disney Gift Card after spending $500 in 3 months. No annual fee if you apply through this link. We used this card to obtain 2 Disneyland tickets for $20.
- Chase Hyatt: Earn 40,000 Hyatt points after spending $2,000 in 3 months, $75 annual fee.
- Chase Southwest Premier: Earn 40,000 Southwest miles after spending $1,000 in 3 months, $99 annual fee
- Chase Southwest Plus: Earn 40,000 Southwest miles after spending $1,000 in 3 months, $69 annual fee
- Amex Hilton: Earn 75,000 Hilton points after spending $1,000 in 3 months, no annual fee
- Amex SPG Personal: Earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 in 3 months , annual fee of $95 waived the first year
- Amex SPG Business: Earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $5,000 in 3 months, annual fee of $95 waived the first year
The signup bonuses change frequently so if the links don’t work, please contact us and we will fix them.
Online Shopping and Mobility Links
At Smart Money and Travel, we don’t just write about travel but also personal finance as well. Throughout the years, we’ve found ways to save money, including shopping online or using ride-share apps.
- Ebates: You can read this post for more details. It’s an online shopping portal that will give you cash back at thousands of stores. You can also earn money booking for hotel stays. If you use our link, then you’d get $10 after making a qualifying $25 purchases.
Without a car, we chose an apartment that’s close to work, post office, banks, and grocery stores. Tran walks to work everyday and we walk to the grocery store weekly. For longer trips, we often use Uber and Lyft. If you don’t have the app(s) then please consider using our links to get some ride credits.
- Uber: To get $15 off on your first ride, enter code h7iy5 when you sign up using our link.
- Lyft: To get $5 off of your first ride, enter code TRAN31 when you sign up using our link.
Occasionally, we order take-outs using UberEats and DoorDash.
- UberEats: Get $5 off your first 3 orders, enter eats-h7iy5 when you join.
- DoorDash: You’ll get $7 for your first order if you sign up through our link. We actually prefer DoorDash to UberEats because tipping could be given through the app whereas the latter only accepts cash tips.
Thank you for visiting Smart Money and Travel! Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions.